Just when you thought the LED light bulb was the next big thing in lighting, along comes The Finally Bulb. It looks exactly like your old friend the 60 watt incandescent bulb and it produces the same steady soft white light. But, this bulb is 75% more efficient and lasts 15 times longer.
The Finally Bulb was not developed by GE, Philips, or Sylvania as you might expect, but by a 30 year-old entrepreneur in Boston named John Goscha. Eventually, with help from venture capital and a team of lighting engineers, the unique bulb evolved into a product that may be ready for prime time.
The technology inside The Finally Bulb is not new. Induction, or electrodeless, lighting has been used sparingly since the 1990’s in commercial large fixture lighting applications such a parking garages. Induction uses a magnetic field to generate light. It was originally developed by Thomas Edison’s rival Nicola Tesla. The Finally Bulb, for the first time, compresses induction technology into the size of a 60 watt light bulb.
So how does The Finally Bulb (TFB) stack up against LED?
Energy Efficiency: TFB = 55 lumens per watt; LED = 80 lumens per watt
Rated Life: TFB = 15,000 hours; LED = 25,000 hours
Appearance of Light: TFB = warm white; LED = warm white
Dimming: TFB = manufacturer specs don’t mention dimming; LED = Yes
Contains Mercury: TFB = Yes; LED = No
Price: TFB = $10; LED = $15 to $20
Bottom line: The Finally Bulb is attractively priced compared to LED, but a long way from what the consumer is used to paying for standard incandescent. Because LED still has a significant lead on rated life and efficiency, not to mention all the press and hype, it’s hard to see how The Finally Bulb will make much headway unless the price gap compare to LED can widen significantly. Read more about The Finally Bulb.
Latest posts by Dave Burtner (see all)
- Planned Maintenance Integral to the Long Term Benefits of LED Lighting Systems - April 18, 2018
- Lighting Uniformity: Study Shows An Important Advantage of LED Fixtures for Parking Lots - April 5, 2018
- Evaluating an LED Retrofit of HID High Bay Fixtures in a Maintenance Facility - March 26, 2018
- How to Make Sure Photocontrols Are Compatible With LED Lighting - March 14, 2018
- A Guide to Beam Metrics for Comparing LED to Halogen Directional Lamps - March 1, 2018